Introduction to weight loss
As you may already know, carrying around an excess amount of weight is dangerous for our health. This is why if you are overweight you need to take action sooner rather than later. The longer you leave it, the more of a chance you have of doing severe damage to your health. On this page I want to discuss a little bit with you about various approaches to weight loss. Let’s jump in shall we?
So how do you lose weight?
Well, you need to burn off all of that fat! Every time you consume food, you are adding to the amount of fat on your body. This is because your body stores this food as ‘energy’ for later consumption. You may notice that almost every single piece of food that you eat has the amount of calories in it listed on the package on it somewhere (unless it is fresh, but it should be easy to work it out in that case with the aid of the internet). The calories are the amount of energy in the food. Your goal is to burn off my calories than you consume. This can be through things such as exercise, or simply trying to live your life. This is because you are burning off a significant amount of calories each and every day just by sitting there. After all, your body needs energy in order to make its organs run properly etc.
There are plenty of weight loss diets out there that promise you that you can lose numerous pounds each and every week.
What is a safe amount of weight to lose each week though?
many experts suggest that you lose at the most 1.5lbs each and every week. This is safe weight loss. You can get starvation weight loss plans which will knock off a lot of weight every week but these are best avoided. This is because starving yourself will more often than not mean that you are not getting enough nutrients in your body (which can be dangerous for your health). In addition to this, your metabolism will be thrown out of sync, which means by the time you get around to eating again you will balloon in weight. This is because your body will want to store the food that it is consuming rather than burning it off.
The no-diet approach to weight control
What many people fail to realize when they are trying to lose weight is that losing weight isn’t just a diet. It is more a healthy lifestyle. Honestly, you can lose weight without really dieting at all. You just need to make sensible choices when it comes to food. The idea is that if you eat healthy you will end up being healthy! It really is as simple as that. If you bear these things in mind then you should find that losing weight is incredibly simple. You may still need to put in a little bit of effort, but you should be the majority of the way there if you follow this ‘no-diet approach to weight control’
• Eliminate as many processed foods from your diet as possible. These are packed to the brim with all sorts of preservatives and the like which reduce their nutritional value.
• Say goodbye to sugar, or foods which are caked in sugar. This is just going to be bad for you.
• Does the food have a high amount of fat? Kiss goodbye to that. This is just going to be empty calories.
• Alcoholic drinks also need to be eliminated. This is just another source of empty calories that you can do without.
Coming up with ideas for a successful no-diet weight loss program isn’t that hard. In fact, it is all about substituting foods in your diet for something slightly healthier. For example, you may want to go down this route:
• Instead of sweeting your tea or coffee, forgo the sugar. This should save 50-60 calories.
• Instead of fizzy drinks, opt for mineral water. This will instantly eliminate around 150-200 calories.
• Eliminate those sugary snacks that you have (e.g. muffins) You can instead look into healthier options if you must snack. For example, vegetable sticks with a light dip. You may be able to cut out around 300 calories a day (or more depending on how often you snack) if you go down this route!
• If you must eat meat, try to cut off the fat from it. This should be fairly simple.
Couple this with some exercise and that weight should fall off pretty quickly. If you are enthusiastic about weight loss this is an approach which you could probably take for the rest of your life, which is of course going to allow you to maintain a healthy weight.
When should medications be used for weight loss?
Contrary to popular belief, it is very rare that you will need medication when it comes to weight loss. There are medications available, but your doctor will only prescribe them if you are at risk of serious conditions that relate to obesity. In fact, they will only prescribe them to people who have a BMI that is greater than BMI. It may also be prescribed to people who have high blood pressure or diabetes. Weight loss medication should not be used for standard weight loss.
As you can probably guess, there are a number of reasons as to why you would want to lose weight. Perhaps the biggest reason is because you want to lead a healthier lifestyle. Those that lose weight are at less risk of serious conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and much, more. In addition to this, you are just going to feel much more comfortable in your body.
tips for successful weight loss
I now want to leave you with a couple of weight loss tips that should hopefully lead to successful weight loss for you. Just putting a few of these into practice should help you out:
• It must be you that wants to lose weight, you don’t want to be doing it for anybody else. If you don’t have the desire to lose weight then it won’t work.
• Avoid situations where you may be tempted to overeat.
• Surround yourself with people who are willing to support you.
• Stock your kitchen with healthy items only. Get rid of things which are high calorie and won’t give you any benefit.
• Reward yourself with non-food rewards when you reach your goal.
• Set small goals in addition to your big one. This will help you with your motivation.